|Posted by hilliardhighalumniassocinc on June 15, 2011 at 11:24 AM|
Meeting called to order on 11/20/2010 at 10:05 am by President Jackson
Praise Period conducted.
Notes from last meeting read and approved
Treasurer’s Report given and approved
• Annie Bratcher received a special thank you for allowing the HHAA to use her truck for Rice Festival Parade.
• Volunteers that helped to decorate the truck were thanked.
• HHAA sponsored Ciara Adams (great grand daughter of R.L. Williams) of Bay City High School for the Rice Festival Queen Court.
• Comment made by, Mitch Thame, one of the judges for the parade entries: "HHAA, Inc., this is our history and in the back is our future." (In the front seat of the truck were HHAA board members and in the back of the truck were children)
• Thanksgiving baskets were discussed. Names were requested from the chairperson.
THANKSGIVING BASKETS – Eva Marende and Devora Hebert
• 1 basket would be given out using the food already collected.
• Monies have been donated toward the purchase of other items for the basket.
• It was suggested that the association donate the money given for the baskets to the Women’s Crisis Center in Bay City Texas: APPROVED
• $ collected and donated.
HANGING OF THE GREEN – Ruth Young
• Suggestion made to schedule the event earlier to prevent overlapping with other events in Bay City. [Board approved to address this suggestion at the 12/18/10 meeting]
• Discussed the mail outs for the Hanging of the Green. Pres. Jackson requested that a flyer and donation envelope be sent to each alumnus on the list.
• Ida Belle Hawkins (Pres. Houston Metropolitan Chapter) requested that the Houston Metropolitan chapter be responsible for the funding of the Seretha Hilliard scholarship, but will leave the control of the distribution of the scholarship to the association. APPROVED
• There was money left in the scholarship fund account which will remain in that account: APPROVED
GUEST SPEAKER: CIARA ADAMS, sponsored by the association for the Rice Festival.
• Ms. Adams commented that she was honored for the association sponsoring her for the pageant. She stated, “we don’t have many African American organizations helping our African American children.”
• Donnye Stone volunteered to check on getting a picture of Ciara as a pageant participant.
• Board members will work together on the reunion/convention dividing as committees to create the team. APPROVED
• Location has been established:
• Service Center (Variety Show) July 1
• Best Western for the Reunion/Convention, July 2
• All committee leads will report to VP Bobby Brown
• Catering – Ruth Young
• Location for Events
• Memorial Service (July 3), Ms. Ida B. Hawkins, VP Bobby Brown,
• Scholarship – Pat Wiggins
• Souvenir Booklet – Donnye Stone (would think about it)
• Music for banquet and dance
• Variety show – Dorothy Walton
• Theme: Time and distance make the appearance of some task seem massive.